Hiring roofers in Orange County is a big deal for a homeowner. Getting your roof repaired or replaced can cost big money. And you want to be sure you’re spending your cash wisely and well. So before you sign a contract with a roofer, ask these 9 questions to be sure you’re hiring the right roofing company:
1. Are you licensed?Roofers in Orange County should be licensed by the state. A license doesn't guarantee excellent work, but working with an unlicensed contractor is sketchy, at best.
2. Are you a member of any roofing associations? Again, the fact that a roofing company is a member of a roofing association doesn't guarantee that they do good work. But those who are association members tend to be more up-to-date on the latest methods and products on the market. Association membership can prove that a roofing company is serious about its work.
3. How many roofers will be on site to install my roof? Obviously, you want to be sure your roof job gets completed quickly. So hire a company who will send an adequate number of workers to make that happen.
4. Will you remove my old roof? Whether or not you have your underlying, old roof removed is up to you, but the roofers should advise you on what’s best in your situation. Sometimes if the underlying roof is in good condition - and if you’re on a tight budget - you can leave the underlying roof on.
It’s usually better to have it removed, though, so that the roofers in Orange County can check for problems with the underlayment and start with a clean slate.
5. How will you protect my gutters while you’re doing the roof? Getting on and off the roof properly is as important as installing the shingles correctly. A ladder set right on your gutters can do some serious damage, leaving you with more problems to fix when the roofers are done.
6. Do you bring your own container for refuse? Whether or not the roofing company is removing all of your old roofing, they should take care of their mess. When you ask about a trash removal container, be sure to figure out where it will sit during the time your roof is being repaired or replaced.
7. What happens if it rains during the job? Be sure the roofers have a plan to protect your home if the weather turns bad while the roof is still going on. They should definitely provide tarps or plastic sheeting to cover your roof to ensure there are no leaks in case of rain.
8. What happens if you find soft or rotten decking during the removal? Part of the advantage of removing the old roof is to check the plywood decking underneath. If it’s damp, soft, or rotten, you need to know so that it can be replaced.
The roofers in Orange County that you decide to hire should replace the decking for you. But before you sign a contract, get a written estimate for the price-per-sheet of replacing the decking. That way you won’t find yourself trying to haggle down an overblown price while your roof is still uncovered.
9. Who will I communicate with on site? Be sure you can touch base with a lead worker or project manager on site when the workers are at your home. You need to know up front which of the roofers in Orange County to take your concerns to, in case you have questions or problems during the roofing process.
If you have any questions, be sure to reach out to Luke Roofing. A long-established Orange County roofer, we provide prompt, reliable expertise for every residential roofing need and situation. Wherever and whenever you need roofing services in Capistrano Beach or anywhere else in OC, you definitely can count on Luke Roofing.